Deferred Compensation – Authorized Account Representatives

Co-op Account Management

How do I update signers or cooperative information with Homestead Funds?

Updating signers:
You will need to submit Deferred Compensation Plan Authorized Cooperative/Employer Representative Form when you establish the cooperative’s first deferred compensation account with Homestead Funds. The individuals named on the form will be maintained on file with Homestead Funds and do not need to be resubmitted with each application.

If the cooperative needs to update the signers on file, please submit a new a Deferred Compensation Plan Authorized Cooperative/Employer Representative Form. All signers will need to sign the new form, even signers who are to remain on file, because the signers listed will replace any signers currently on file.

Updating cooperative information:
Use the Deferred Compensation Account Maintenance Form to:

  • Update the cooperative address and/or phone number
  • Update the cooperative Attention Line on account statements, confirmation statements and other mailings. Updating account signers does not automatically update the attention line.
  • Add or update participant address information for the purpose of receiving duplication account statements.
  • Add or update telephone exchange options.
  • Update the cooperative’s tax status for the purpose of producing cooperative tax forms.
  • Add or change cooperative bank instructions.
Online Help:

If you have problems logging in, Contact Us between 8:30 a.m and 5:00 p.m. ET on any business day for assistance. Please copy down any error codes you received. After verifying your identity and confirming that you are an authorized signer for the cooperative account, a representative will research the issue and ensure you can log in.