Effective protection of your personal information online requires both you and Homestead Funds to work together to manage the risks.
- Keep your computer and mobile devices operating systems up-to-date, including but not limited to necessary security patches, and install security software such as anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software.
- Don’t use a public computer or public Wi-Fi to log into any account.
- Monitor your accounts for fraudulent activity and promptly review correspondence, account statements and confirmations as they are made available to you. Alert us immediately at 800.258.3030 if you see something suspicious. We ask that you cooperate with our team during our review should you initiate a claim of fraud.
- Do not store your password on any device that you use to access your Homestead accounts.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date contact information to ensure that we can reach you.
- Create strong usernames and passwords as detailed below and do not share them with anyone else.
- Understand and control your privacy settings for each social media site you use.
- We won’t send you emails asking for your personal information such as your social security number, account number or password. If you receive one that says it’s from Homestead Funds, please forward it to email@example.com.
- Learn about “phishing” emails so you can avoid clicking on suspicious links.
Homestead Funds Responsibilities:
- Two-Factor Authentication — we require shareholders to enter a security code sent by text or email to complete the log in process. Two-factor authentication combines information only you know (such as a password and information about your account) with something only you can access (such as your mobile phone or email account). Once two-factor authentication is established on your computer or mobile device and you authorize our website to remember it, you will not need to go through the extra security steps again. Websites that start with “https://” use this technology.
- Encryption — Homestead Funds supports a secure online connection by using Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security (SSL/TLS) technology. This technology allows for an encrypted connection between your browser and our web application.
- Allow for strong and unique usernames and passwords and change them regularly:
- Username must be 8–24 characters with at least 2 numbers. Special characters are allowed.
- Password must be 8–20 characters with at least 1 number, 1 letter and 1 special character required.
- Many security experts recommend long usernames and passwords in the form of phrases that you’ll be able to remember. Examples:
- Our transfer agent monitors activity to identify suspicious behavior and suspected fraud.